Electronics & Programming

develissimo

Open Source electronics development and programming

  • You are not logged in.

#1 Jan. 9, 2006 22:40:50

John G.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Mspgcc-users] building mspgcc


Is the current version of gcc recommended to be 3.2.3 for a build of mspgcc?

I've gotten answers that one person uses 3.2.3, and one uses 3.3 so far....
What are the tradeoffs? Pitfalls?

I am considering making two unofficial debian packages or maybe two KLIK
packages for use directly with msp430's and one for use with TinyOS and nesC
for msp430
which involves a patch to the assembler.

Offline

#2 Jan. 10, 2006 01:06:38

Francisco S.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Mspgcc-users] building mspgcc


2006/1/9, John Griessen <joh***@*ibolo.com>:
> Is the current version of gcc recommended to be 3.2.3 for a build of mspgcc?
>
Yes.
....
> I am considering making two unofficial debian packages or maybe two KLIK
> packages for use directly with msp430's and one for use with TinyOS and nesC
> for msp430
> which involves a patch to the assembler.
There is an excelent makefile that fetches everything from the
internet and builds the complete toolchain in CVS
(packaging/makefile). It uses gcc 3.2.3 by default.
There is also a debian directory (packaging/debian) with everything to
build the deb packages (untested by me).
>
....
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Griessen
>

--
Francisco

Offline

#3 Jan. 10, 2006 21:35:49

Peter J.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Mspgcc-users] building mspgcc


John Griessen wrote:Is the current version of gcc recommended to be 3.2.3 for a build of mspgcc?

I've gotten answers that one person uses 3.2.3, and one uses 3.3 so far....
What are the tradeoffs? Pitfalls?Ok, here is where I think things are,

gcc-3.2.3 (mspgcc/gcc/gcc-3.3)
works,
compiles all our projects ok,
I think there is some fault with calls to pointers in R1
(which I have recently patched)
Maybe some very subtle fault with pointers to structures
selecting the correct offset.

gcc-3.3.6 (msp-gcc/gcc/gcc-3.4)
compiles ok,
makes bigger code, does not seem to use bit instruction for
'and #',
includes mods for C++
(could be back ported to gcc-3.2.3 quite easily)
does not have newer devices (1471,....)

gcc-3.4.4 (msp-gcc/gcc/gcc-current)
compiles with some modifications,
fail with internal compiler error:
in subreg_highpart_offset, at emit-rtl.c:1328
does have C++ mods
does have newer devices (1471,....)

gcc-4.0.2
can be made to compile with major modifications,
wont compile with -O2 needs modifications to msp430.md
also has same fault as gcc-3.4.4 in emit-rtl.cI am considering making two unofficial debian packages or maybe two KLIK
packages for use directly with msp430's and one for use with TinyOS and nesC
for msp430
which involves a patch to the assembler.

From a TinyOS developer: "We actually do not patch GCC itself but rather the
assembler so that it can accept $-signs in identifiers."Does the gcc option '-fdollars-in-identifiers' not do what you want?

--
Peter Jansen

___________________________________________________________________________

Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the addressee only. If you are not
the
intended recipient, you are notified that use or dissemination of this
communication is
strictly prohibited by Commonwealth law. If you have received this transmission
in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephoning +61 3 6232
3209 and
DELETE the message.
Visit our web site athttp://www.aad.gov.au/___________________________________________________________________________

Offline

#4 Jan. 11, 2006 00:52:17

KIMURA S.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Mspgcc-users] building mspgcc


Thanks for this summary, I was looking for this kind of infomation
for weeks!

On Jan 10, 2006, at 3:35 PM, Peter Jansen wrote:gcc-3.2.3 (mspgcc/gcc/gcc-3.3)
works,
compiles all our projects ok,
I think there is some fault with calls to pointers in R1
(which I have recently patched)
Maybe some very subtle fault with pointers to structures
selecting the correct offset.

gcc-3.3.6 (msp-gcc/gcc/gcc-3.4)
compiles ok,
makes bigger code, does not seem to use bit instruction for
'and #',
includes mods for C++
(could be back ported to gcc-3.2.3 quite easily)
does not have newer devices (1471,....)Is this mean 3.3.6 is better than 3.2.3?
# I would take larger code than wrong code.

By the way I have back ported 3.2.3's device to 3.3.6,
although I am not sure I did all of what needs to be done.
Seems working at least for 430F1612.mspgcc.patchDescription:Binary data

Attachments:
attachment mspgcc.patch (10.5 KB)

Offline

#5 Jan. 11, 2006 00:55:57

Peter J.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Mspgcc-users] building mspgcc


KIMURA Shigenobu wrote:Thanks for this summary, I was looking for this kind of infomation
for weeks!

On Jan 10, 2006, at 3:35 PM, Peter Jansen wrote:gcc-3.2.3 (mspgcc/gcc/gcc-3.3)
works,
compiles all our projects ok,
I think there is some fault with calls to pointers in R1
(which I have recently patched)
Maybe some very subtle fault with pointers to structures
selecting the correct offset.

gcc-3.3.6 (msp-gcc/gcc/gcc-3.4)
compiles ok,
makes bigger code, does not seem to use bit instruction for
'and #',
includes mods for C++
(could be back ported to gcc-3.2.3 quite easily)
does not have newer devices (1471,....)Is this mean 3.3.6 is better than 3.2.3?
# I would take larger code than wrong code.

By the way I have back ported 3.2.3's device to 3.3.6,
although I am not sure I did all of what needs to be done.
Seems working at least for 430F1612.I use 3.2.3, I think the two bugs in 3.2.3 with structures and functionpointer calls are in 3.3.6 also.--
Peter Jansen

___________________________________________________________________________

Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the addressee only. If you are not
the
intended recipient, you are notified that use or dissemination of this
communication is
strictly prohibited by Commonwealth law. If you have received this transmission
in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephoning +61 3 6232
3209 and
DELETE the message.
Visit our web site athttp://www.aad.gov.au/___________________________________________________________________________

Offline

#6 July 11, 2007 17:05:43

Кобрин О.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Mspgcc-users] building mspgcc


ok, I found a patch in CVS :)

2007/7/11, Кобрин Олег <k***@*me.ru>:I'm building mspgcc on cygwin, and when I'm building binutils it does not
build for msp430fg461x target. what should I do?

--
_____________
Oleg V. Kobrin--
_____________
Oleg V. Kobrin

Offline

#7 July 11, 2007 17:07:59

Кобрин О.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Mspgcc-users] building mspgcc


I'm building mspgcc on cygwin, and when I'm building binutils it does not
build for msp430fg461x target. what should I do?

--
_____________
Oleg V. Kobrin

Offline

#8 June 22, 2010 01:05:15

Brian N.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Mspgcc-users] building mspgcc


I'm following the build procedure athttp://mspgcc.sourceforge.net/manual/x1746.html. Everything went well until
I tried to build msp430-libc and I got a strange error:

bn2...@isd-bnol-lt ~/msp430-libc/src $ make msp430-gcc -x assembler-with-cpp
-mmcu=msp430x110 -I./../include -I. -Wa,-gstab s -c gcrt0.S -o crt430x110.o
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
make: *** Error 3

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Brian

Offline

#9 June 22, 2010 14:39:55

Hans N.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Mspgcc-users] building mspgcc


I have absolutely no idea what's going wrong, but googling on part of
you error message leads me to this page:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884538Seems to be an internal DLL issue on your system?

Hans

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:05:07 -0600
Brian Nolte <brianno***@*mail.com> wrote:

> I'm following the build procedure at
>http://mspgcc.sourceforge.net/manual/x1746.html. Everything went well until
> I tried to build msp430-libc and I got a strange error:
>
> bn2...@isd-bnol-lt ~/msp430-libc/src $ make msp430-gcc -x assembler-with-cpp
> -mmcu=msp430x110 -I./../include -I. -Wa,-gstab s -c gcrt0.S -o crt430x110.o
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
> way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
> make: *** Error 3
>
> Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
> Brian

Offline

#10 June 22, 2010 23:02:29

Brian N.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Mspgcc-users] building mspgcc


Thanks for trying. I installed the hotfix suggested but got an error that
the service pack installed (3) is newer than the update so I don't need the
update.
Brian

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:41 AM, Hans Nieuwenhuis <vz***@*s4all.nl> wrote:

> I have absolutely no idea what's going wrong, but googling on part of
> you error message leads me to this page:
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884538>
> Seems to be an internal DLL issue on your system?
>
> Hans
>
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:05:07 -0600
> Brian Nolte <brianno***@*mail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm following the build procedure at
> >http://mspgcc.sourceforge.net/manual/x1746.html. Everything went well
> until
> > I tried to build msp430-libc and I got a strange error:
> >
> > bn2...@isd-bnol-lt ~/msp430-libc/src $ make msp430-gcc -x
> assembler-with-cpp
> > -mmcu=msp430x110 -I./../include -I. -Wa,-gstab s -c gcrt0.S -o
> crt430x110.o
> > This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
> > way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
> > make: *** Error 3
> >
> > Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
> > Brian
>
>
>
> Mspgcc-users mailing list
> Mspgcc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mspgcc-users>

Offline

Board footer

Moderator control

Enjoy the 16th of December
PoweredBy

The Forums are managed by develissimo stuff members, if you find any issues or misplaced content please help us to fix it. Thank you! Tell us via Contact Options
Leave a Message
Welcome to Develissimo Live Support