Electronics & Programming

develissimo

Open Source electronics development and programming

  • You are not logged in.
  • Root
  • » Django
  • » Newbie trying to install django-trunk from svn on Ubuntu 7.10 [RSS Feed]

#1 Feb. 1, 2008 19:54:50

b.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Newbie trying to install django-trunk from svn on Ubuntu 7.10


Followinghttp://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/install/I'm stuck at the steps of setting up the symlinks to django.
Step 3. ln -s `pwd`/django-trunk/django SITE-PACKAGES-DIR/django
Step 4. ln -s `pwd`/django-trunk/django/bin/django-admin.py /usr/local/
bin

One possible problem: not thinking very fast, I ended up checking out
django-trunk into my home folder.
Is that a mistake? Where shd it be?

I tried several variations on Steps 3 and 4:
sudo ln -s /django-trunk/django /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
django
sudo ln -s /django-trunk/django/bin/django-admin.py /usr/local/bin
sudo ln -s django-trunk/django /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django
sudo ln -s django-trunk/django/bin/django-admin.py /usr/local/bin

And also the same variations with passwords included inline instead
using sudo.

All of them resulted in broken links.

Any clues?

I did get django-trunk onto my PYTHONPATH, thanks to help from Brett
Parker, so now when I type import django into the Python interpreter,
I no longer get an error message. In other words, according to the
instructions, django is actually installed, at least to some extent.
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Offline

#2 Feb. 1, 2008 20:24:19

Brian R.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Newbie trying to install django-trunk from svn on Ubuntu 7.10


On 2008-02-01 12:54:48 -0700, bobhaugen <> said:

>
> Followinghttp://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/install/>
> I'm stuck at the steps of setting up the symlinks to django.
> Step 3. ln -s `pwd`/django-trunk/django SITE-PACKAGES-DIR/django
> Step 4. ln -s `pwd`/django-trunk/django/bin/django-admin.py /usr/local/
> bin

Okay, to be honest, pretend you never read that. The bottom line is
that Django only needs to be in your PYTHONPATH. By default Python
already has its site-packages directory on the PYTHONPATH which is
where this stems from. You can define the PYTHONPATH at anytime. Once
it is there it is completely installed. You will want to get the
django-admin.py file into your PATH so that you can easily access it
with referencing it on the filesystem.

It is useful to have Django installed in site-packages if you don't
need to be switching between versions very often or it is a production
server, for example.


--
Brian Rosnerhttp://oebfare.com--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Offline

#3 Feb. 1, 2008 20:59:57

b.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Newbie trying to install django-trunk from svn on Ubuntu 7.10


On Feb 1, 2:23 pm, Brian Rosner <> wrote:
> Okay, to be honest, pretend you never read that. The bottom line is
> that Django only needs to be in your PYTHONPATH. By default Python
> already has its site-packages directory on the PYTHONPATH which is
> where this stems from. You can define the PYTHONPATH at anytime. Once
> it is there it is completely installed. You will want to get the
> django-admin.py file into your PATH so that you can easily access it
> with referencing it on the filesystem.

Thanks, Brian.

I have tried several variations on PYTHONPATH.
With echo @PYTHONPATH
django-trunk
I can import django in the Python interpreter, but
django-admin.py startproject mysite
gets this error message:
bash: django-admin.py: command not found

With echo @PYTHONPATH
django-trunk:django-trunk/django/bin:django-trunk/django/bin/django-
admin.py
same error message.

I'm still missing something, sorry to be so dense.


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Offline

#4 Feb. 1, 2008 21:37:50

Brian R.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Newbie trying to install django-trunk from svn on Ubuntu 7.10


> With echo @PYTHONPATH
> django-trunk:django-trunk/django/bin:django-trunk/django/bin/django-
> admin.py
> same error message.
>

Ok, there is a subtle difference that you are missing. PYTHONPATH and
PATH. They are two completely different environment variables.
PYTHONPATH is only for Python in locating Python modules and PATH is to
locate executable files in the shell.

export PATH=/path/to/django/bin:$PATH

Also, it appears you are relying on a relative path. I would highly
recommend you adjust the PYTHONPATH and how you setup the PATH to use
an absolute path.

export PYTHONPATH=/home/user/django-trunk

--
Brian Rosnerhttp://oebfare.com--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Offline

#5 Feb. 1, 2008 22:31:32

b.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Newbie trying to install django-trunk from svn on Ubuntu 7.10


On Feb 1, 3:37 pm, Brian Rosner <> wrote:
> export PATH=/path/to/django/bin:$PATH

Thank you thank you! That is what I was missing.

> Also, it appears you are relying on a relative path. I would highly
> recommend you adjust the PYTHONPATH and how you setup the PATH to use
> an absolute path.
>
> export PYTHONPATH=/home/user/django-trunk

Will do.
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Offline

#6 March 26, 2008 19:09:30

D.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Newbie trying to install django-trunk from svn on Ubuntu 7.10


:blush:

Forgot to type django-admin.py ... I saw that just after I posted :(

OK, it works with trunk versin, yeeey.

On Mar 26, 7:06 pm, Davorin <> wrote:
> Hmm, I thought the two tricks will get my Django working, but instead
> I got this:
>
> :~/django-projects$ django-admin startproject
> myproject
> The program 'django-admin' is currently not installed. You can
> install it by typing:
> sudo apt-get install python-django
> bash: django-admin: command not found
>
> Shall I install as it says and just do svn-update?!
>
> Best regards, Davorin
>
> On Feb 1, 11:31 pm, bobhaugen <> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 1, 3:37 pm, Brian Rosner <> wrote:
>
> > > export PATH=/path/to/django/bin:$PATH
>
> > Thank you thank you! That is what I was missing.
>
> > > Also, it appears you are relying on a relative path. I would highly
> > > recommend you adjust the PYTHONPATH and how you setup the PATH to use
> > > an absolute path.
>
> > > export PYTHONPATH=/home/user/django-trunk
>
> > Will do.
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Offline

#7 March 26, 2008 19:10:13

j.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Newbie trying to install django-trunk from svn on Ubuntu 7.10


bobhaugen wrote:
> Followinghttp://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/install/>
> I'm stuck at the steps of setting up the symlinks to django.
> Step 3. ln -s `pwd`/django-trunk/django SITE-PACKAGES-DIR/django
> Step 4. ln -s `pwd`/django-trunk/django/bin/django-admin.py /usr/local/
> bin
>
> One possible problem: not thinking very fast, I ended up checking out
> django-trunk into my home folder.
> Is that a mistake? Where shd it be?
>
> I tried several variations on Steps 3 and 4:
> sudo ln -s /django-trunk/django /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
> django
> sudo ln -s /django-trunk/django/bin/django-admin.py /usr/local/bin
> sudo ln -s django-trunk/django /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django
> sudo ln -s django-trunk/django/bin/django-admin.py /usr/local/bin
>
> And also the same variations with passwords included inline instead
> using sudo.
>
> All of them resulted in broken links.
>
> Any clues?
>
> I did get django-trunk onto my PYTHONPATH, thanks to help from Brett
> Parker, so now when I type import django into the Python interpreter,
> I no longer get an error message. In other words, according to the
> instructions, django is actually installed, at least to some extent.

Antonio Cangiano provided some good instructions on installing Django
and PostgreSQL on Ubuntu. He installed from trunk.http://antoniocangiano.com/2007/12/26/installing-django-with-postgresql-on-ubuntu/--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Offline

#8 March 26, 2008 19:16:49

D.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Newbie trying to install django-trunk from svn on Ubuntu 7.10


Hmm, I thought the two tricks will get my Django working, but instead
I got this:

:~/django-projects$ django-admin startproject
myproject
The program 'django-admin' is currently not installed. You can
install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install python-django
bash: django-admin: command not found

Shall I install as it says and just do svn-update?!

Best regards, Davorin

On Feb 1, 11:31 pm, bobhaugen <> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 3:37 pm, Brian Rosner <> wrote:
>
> > export PATH=/path/to/django/bin:$PATH
>
> Thank you thank you! That is what I was missing.
>
> > Also, it appears you are relying on a relative path. I would highly
> > recommend you adjust the PYTHONPATH and how you setup the PATH to use
> > an absolute path.
>
> > export PYTHONPATH=/home/user/django-trunk
>
> Will do.
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Offline

  • Root
  • » Django
  • » Newbie trying to install django-trunk from svn on Ubuntu 7.10 [RSS Feed]

Board footer

Moderator control

Enjoy the 11th of December
PoweredBy

The Forums are managed by develissimo stuff members, if you find any issues or misplaced content please help us to fix it. Thank you! Tell us via Contact Options
Leave a Message
Welcome to Develissimo Live Support