Electronics & Programming

develissimo

Open Source electronics development and programming

  • You are not logged in.

#1 Jan. 25, 2011 17:53:45

Gert v.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Sdcc-user] 8048 support ?


Is it possible to tweak sdcc so that it generates 8048 code ?

Gert



Sdcc-user mailing list
Sdcc-user@lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sdcc-user

Offline

#2 Jan. 25, 2011 18:23:23

Dave M.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Sdcc-user] 8048 support ?


On 1/25/11 12:51 PM, Gert van der Knokke wrote:
> Is it possible to tweak sdcc so that it generates 8048 code ?

I personally don't know, but I must say, that would be very nice indeed!

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL


Sdcc-user mailing list
Sdcc-user@lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sdcc-user

Offline

#3 Jan. 25, 2011 18:49:59

k.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Sdcc-user] 8048 support ?


Really...   why ?


Can you even find any 8048/8748s these days (besides ripping a part
an old keyboard...)  ?
 
 
Bill
 
 



On January 25, 2011 at 1:03 PM Dave McGuire <mcgu***@*eurotica.com> wrote:

>    I personally don't know, but I must say, that would be very nice indeed!
>
>           -Dave

 
====================================
Bill Chaikin, KA8VIT
USS COD Amateur Radio Club - W8COD
WW2 Submarine USS COD SS-224 (NECO)

ka8***@*a8vit.comhttp://ka8vit.comhttp://www.usscod.org====================================
Sdcc-user mailing list
Sdcc-user@lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sdcc-user

Offline

#4 Jan. 25, 2011 19:08:44

Jan W.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Sdcc-user] 8048 support ?


In theory, yes. It would be more a "major undertaking" than a "tweak", though.

In practice... The 8051 architecture is restrictive enough to see a working C
compiler quite a miracle. Now mind, that the 8051 is a superset of the 8048,
adding substantial differences.

Why would you want to have a C compiler for a chip which is out of fashion for
about 3 decades?

Jan Waclawek

----- Original Message ---------------

Subject: 8048 support ?
From: Gert van der Knokke <ge***@*s4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:51:16 +0100
To: sdcc-u***@*ists.sourceforge.net

>Is it possible to tweak sdcc so that it generates 8048 code ?
>
>Gert
>


Sdcc-user mailing list
Sdcc-user@lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sdcc-user

Offline

#5 Jan. 25, 2011 19:14:36

Dave M.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Sdcc-user] 8048 support ?


On 1/25/11 1:34 PM, ka8***@*a8vit.com wrote:
> Really... why ?

Because they're fun, and they're everywhere.

> Can you even find any 8048/8748s these days (besides ripping a part
> an old keyboard...) ?

They are all over the place. I find them in everything. I probably
have about 200 of them. And that's only the UV-erasable versions, not
the OTPs or mask-programmed ones.

Of course I'd never use one for a commercial design, but there's more
to life than commercial designs. :)

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL


Sdcc-user mailing list
Sdcc-user@lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sdcc-user

Offline

#6 Jan. 25, 2011 22:59:26

K.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Sdcc-user] 8048 support ?


I was just curious... <wink>

I did quite a bit of them years ago.

I really didn't realize they were still around.

Never see them mentioned.

Bill





On 1/25/2011 2:11 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 1/25/11 1:34 PM, ka8***@*a8vit.com wrote:
>> Really... why ?
> Because they're fun, and they're everywhere.
>
>> Can you even find any 8048/8748s these days (besides ripping a part
>> an old keyboard...) ?
> They are all over the place. I find them in everything. I probably
> have about 200 of them. And that's only the UV-erasable versions, not
> the OTPs or mask-programmed ones.
>
> Of course I'd never use one for a commercial design, but there's more
> to life than commercial designs. :)
>
> -Dave
>

--

Bill Chaikin, KA8VIT
USS COD Amateur Radio Club - W8COD
WW2 Submarine USS COD SS-224 (NECO)

ka8***@*a8vit.comhttp://ka8vit.comhttp://www.usscod.org
Sdcc-user mailing list
Sdcc-user@lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sdcc-user

Offline

#7 Jan. 25, 2011 23:33:05

Dave M.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Sdcc-user] 8048 support ?


On 1/25/11 5:57 PM, KA8VIT wrote:
> I was just curious...<wink>
>
> I did quite a bit of them years ago.
>
> I really didn't realize they were still around.
>
> Never see them mentioned.

Well not in *new* designs, mind you. They're thoroughly gone in that
regard. But a LOT of them were made, and they found their way into all
sorts of stuff. Just the other day I saw a dental chair controller
built around an 8748, still in service. (and probably will be for a
very long time)

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL


Sdcc-user mailing list
Sdcc-user@lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sdcc-user

Offline

#8 Jan. 26, 2011 06:59:15

Gert v.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

[Sdcc-user] 8048 support ?


Op 25-01-11 20:14, Jan Waclawek schreef:
> In theory, yes. It would be more a "major undertaking" than a "tweak", though.
>
> In practice... The 8051 architecture is restrictive enough to see a working C
> compiler quite a miracle. Now mind, that the 8051 is a superset of the 8048,
> adding substantial differences.
>
> Why would you want to have a C compiler for a chip which is out of fashion
> for about 3 decades?
>
Well... We are organizing a retro computer event and I have a bunch of
working Odyssey/Videopac game consoles.
I am fiddling with creating some simple programs on these just to show
how things were done back then.
I have transplanted a DS5000 (8051) onto one of the G7000's and found
out that it is much easier to program but then the program can not be
run on the other G7000.. So if someone already did the adaptation of
sdcc to 8048 it would be great.

Gert



Sdcc-user mailing list
Sdcc-user@lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sdcc-user

Offline

Board footer

Moderator control

Enjoy the 21st of October
PoweredBy

The Forums are managed by develissimo stuff members, if you find any issues or misplaced content please help us to fix it. Thank you! Tell us via Contact Options
Leave a Message
Welcome to Develissimo Live Support