Electronics & Programming

develissimo

Open Source electronics development and programming

  • You are not logged in.

#1 Jan. 19, 2011 20:21:37

h.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Django Email


I'm in the process of coding the logic to send email through the
send_mail package of Django. My question is what's the best way to
support sending an email to multiple recipients? I had thought of
using a text box to enter each address individually and then having a
button click call a javascript function to concatenate the current
address input to the recipient list which it builds. But never having
done this before I thought I would ask if there was a better way that
I maybe hadn't thought of. Thanks for the help.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

#2 Jan. 19, 2011 22:10:05

Shawn M.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Django Email


Whatever method you decide to use to gather the e-mail addresses is upto you, and depends on your needs.The send_mail function accepts a list of recipients, and it doesn'treally matter how you get them.Two notes on sending e-mail, though:1. Ensure that you're sending the e-mail multiple times (once to eachperson) to ensure privacy. Unless, for some reason, it's fine that allrecipients get the e-mail addresses of the others.2. SMTP communications are expensive, so you may want to go deeper thanthe send_mail function so you can create an SMTP connection and sendmultiple messages then include it. Otherwise you'll create a new SMTPconnection for each message, which will take longer. Unless that's whatyou want.Shawn

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django
users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

#3 Jan. 19, 2011 22:33:11

Eduardo C.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Django Email


django-mailer is a nice application to have around if you're planning to
send too much emails. It queues messages and retry failled attempts.



On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Shawn Milochik <sh...@milochik.com> wrote:

> Whatever method you decide to use to gather the e-mail addresses is up to
> you, and depends on your needs.
>
> The send_mail function accepts a list of recipients, and it doesn't really
> matter how you get them.
>
> Two notes on sending e-mail, though:
>
> 1. Ensure that you're sending the e-mail multiple times (once to each
> person) to ensure privacy. Unless, for some reason, it's fine that all
> recipients get the e-mail addresses of the others.
>
> 2. SMTP communications are expensive, so you may want to go deeper than the
> send_mail function so you can create an SMTP connection and send multiple
> messages then include it. Otherwise you'll create a new SMTP connection for
> each message, which will take longer. Unless that's what you want.
>
> Shawn
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Django users" group.
> To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<django-users%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com>
> .
> For more options, visit this group at
>http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.
>
>


--
Eduardo Cereto Carvalho

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

#4 Jan. 21, 2011 15:27:55

h.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Django Email


OK. Any idea if there's a good django coding example somewhere showing
basic settings for sending email, how to setup the smtp connection so
I can use it to send multiple messages if desired, without having to
get a new connection for each message, etc.?

On Jan 19, 4:09 pm, Shawn Milochik <sh...@milochik.com> wrote:
> Whatever method you decide to use to gather the e-mail addresses is up
> to you, and depends on your needs.
>
> The send_mail function accepts a list of recipients, and it doesn't
> really matter how you get them.
>
> Two notes on sending e-mail, though:
>
> 1. Ensure that you're sending the e-mail multiple times (once to each
> person) to ensure privacy. Unless, for some reason, it's fine that all
> recipients get the e-mail addresses of the others.
>
> 2. SMTP communications are expensive, so you may want to go deeper than
> the send_mail function so you can create an SMTP connection and send
> multiple messages then include it. Otherwise you'll create a new SMTP
> connection for each message, which will take longer. Unless that's what
> you want.
>
> Shawn

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

#5 Jan. 21, 2011 15:28:18

h.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Django Email


OK what exactly is django-mailer?

On Jan 19, 4:32 pm, Eduardo Cereto Carvalho <eduardocer...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> django-mailer is a nice application to have around if you're planning to
> send too much emails. It queues messages and retry failled attempts.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Shawn Milochik <sh...@milochik.com> wrote:
> > Whatever method you decide to use to gather the e-mail addresses is up to
> > you, and depends on your needs.
>
> > The send_mail function accepts a list of recipients, and it doesn't really
> > matter how you get them.
>
> > Two notes on sending e-mail, though:
>
> > 1. Ensure that you're sending the e-mail multiple times (once to each
> > person) to ensure privacy. Unless, for some reason, it's fine that all
> > recipients get the e-mail addresses of the others.
>
> > 2. SMTP communications are expensive, so you may want to go deeper than the
> > send_mail function so you can create an SMTP connection and send multiple
> > messages then include it. Otherwise you'll create a new SMTP connection for
> > each message, which will take longer. Unless that's what you want.
>
> > Shawn
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "Django users" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<django-users%2Bunsubscribe@google­groups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.
>
> --
> Eduardo Cereto Carvalho- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

#6 Jan. 21, 2011 15:32:34

Anurag C.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Django Email


Googling for django-mailer gets me to this pagehttp://code.google.com/p/django-mailer/<http://code.google.com/p/django-mailer/>Regards,
Anurag

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 8:58 PM, hank23 <hversem...@stchas.edu> wrote:

> OK what exactly is django-mailer?
>
> On Jan 19, 4:32 pm, Eduardo Cereto Carvalho <eduardocer...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > django-mailer is a nice application to have around if you're planning
> to
> > send too much emails. It queues messages and retry failled attempts.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Shawn Milochik <sh...@milochik.com>
> wrote:
> > > Whatever method you decide to use to gather the e-mail addresses is up
> to
> > > you, and depends on your needs.
> >
> > > The send_mail function accepts a list of recipients, and it doesn't
> really
> > > matter how you get them.
> >
> > > Two notes on sending e-mail, though:
> >
> > > 1. Ensure that you're sending the e-mail multiple times (once to each
> > > person) to ensure privacy. Unless, for some reason, it's fine that all
> > > recipients get the e-mail addresses of the others.
> >
> > > 2. SMTP communications are expensive, so you may want to go deeper than
> the
> > > send_mail function so you can create an SMTP connection and send
> multiple
> > > messages then include it. Otherwise you'll create a new SMTP connection
> for
> > > each message, which will take longer. Unless that's what you want.
> >
> > > Shawn
> >
> > > --
> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups
> > > "Django users" group.
> > > To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
> > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > > django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<django-users%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com>
> <django-users%2Bunsubscribe@google­groups.com>
> > > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.
> >
> > --
> > Eduardo Cereto Carvalho- Hide quoted text -
> >
> > - Show quoted text -
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Django users" group.
> To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<django-users%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com>
> .
> For more options, visit this group at
>http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.
>
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

#7 Jan. 21, 2011 15:36:40

Tom E.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Django Email


On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:28 PM, hank23 <hversem...@stchas.edu> wrote:
> OK what exactly is django-mailer?
>http://lmgtfy.com/?q=django-mailerHTH

Tom

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

#8 Jan. 21, 2011 16:24:22

Shawn M.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Django Email


http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/email/#the-emailmessage-classhttp://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/email/#sending-multiple-e-mails--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

Board footer

Moderator control

Enjoy the 21st of October
PoweredBy

The Forums are managed by develissimo stuff members, if you find any issues or misplaced content please help us to fix it. Thank you! Tell us via Contact Options
Leave a Message
Welcome to Develissimo Live Support