Electronics & Programming

develissimo

Open Source electronics development and programming

  • You are not logged in.

#1 Jan. 23, 2011 10:54:27

K.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Questions - Django -- Bash problem


Hello, I have another question. When it comes to Django, I notice some
people type as django-admin startproject project and some have to type
as django-admin.py startproject project ( in my case, I had to do
that), is it base on the setup of the Django that cause the
differences between the admin.py and admin?

Also, on the command line, I typed " manage.py startapp tolls" after
being side my project directory and now it says bash: manage.py:
command not found

I've checked the directory I am using and the manage.py file is there.
I also set the _init_.py to where the operating system - os is
imported and that the django_setting_module is set to settings. Any
advices will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

#2 Jan. 23, 2011 11:10:18

R.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Questions - Django -- Bash problem


Hello Kimberly,

The reason you are getting bash error, is the command you are looking
for is "django-admin.py startapp tolls" not "manage.py startapp
tolls".

Rob

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

#3 Jan. 23, 2011 11:22:32

Łukasz R.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Questions - Django -- Bash problem


On 23 January 2011 11:54, Kimberly <kharve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I have another question. When it comes to Django, I notice some
> people type as django-admin startproject project and some have to type
> as django-admin.py startproject project ( in my case, I had to do
> that), is it base on the setup of the Django that cause the
> differences between the admin.py and admin?

Django provides the script as "django-admin.py"; Some Linux
distributions (like Ubuntu) package Django with the script renamed to
"django-admin". So that's the cause of the difference and it's not
something that Django has any influence on.

>
> Also, on the command line, I typed " manage.py startapp tolls"  after
> being side my project directory and now it says bash: manage.py:
> command not found

Yes, because that's how bash works. If the script is not on PATH, then
bash won't find it. If you want to run a script from current
directory:

./manage.py startapp tolls

Note, that the file has to be executable, for this to work (it's not
by default). That's why Django's tutorial suggests writing:

python manage.py startapp tolls

To avoid the need of explaining about bash, permission, etc.

>
> I've checked the directory I am using and the manage.py file is there.
> I also set the _init_.py to where the operating system - os is
> imported and that the django_setting_module is set to settings. Any
> advices will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>

--
Łukasz Rekucki

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

#4 Jan. 24, 2011 01:27:22

Kimberly H.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Questions - Django -- Bash problem


Problems ( this is very frustrating!).

In the settings.py file, I'm using the django 1.2 or higher, so it has
ENGINE : '", and whatsnot
I set the ENGINE to sqlite3, that didn't work. Then I added the path, and
that still doesn't work. It keeps saying that the ENGINE has not been set. I
have no clue what is wrong, I've gone through the tutorial so many times and
I feel that there must be something I am overlooking. I am using the Django
in the Linux-Debian. Please help, because Django is not cooperating with the
database and I have no clue what is going on other than the engine part but
that has been set.

2011/1/23 Łukasz Rekucki <lreku...@gmail.com>

> On 23 January 2011 11:54, Kimberly <kharve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello, I have another question. When it comes to Django, I notice some
> > people type as django-admin startproject project and some have to type
> > as django-admin.py startproject project ( in my case, I had to do
> > that), is it base on the setup of the Django that cause the
> > differences between the admin.py and admin?
>
> Django provides the script as "django-admin.py"; Some Linux
> distributions (like Ubuntu) package Django with the script renamed to
> "django-admin". So that's the cause of the difference and it's not
> something that Django has any influence on.
>
> >
> > Also, on the command line, I typed " manage.py startapp tolls" after
> > being side my project directory and now it says bash: manage.py:
> > command not found
>
> Yes, because that's how bash works. If the script is not on PATH, then
> bash won't find it. If you want to run a script from current
> directory:
>
> ./manage.py startapp tolls
>
> Note, that the file has to be executable, for this to work (it's not
> by default). That's why Django's tutorial suggests writing:
>
> python manage.py startapp tolls
>
> To avoid the need of explaining about bash, permission, etc.
>
> >
> > I've checked the directory I am using and the manage.py file is there.
> > I also set the _init_.py to where the operating system - os is
> > imported and that the django_setting_module is set to settings. Any
> > advices will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
> >
>
> --
> Łukasz Rekucki
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Django users" group.
> To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<django-users%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com>
> .
> For more options, visit this group at
>http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.
>
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

#5 Jan. 24, 2011 01:38:25

Karen T.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Questions - Django -- Bash problem


On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Kimberly Harvey <kharve...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Problems ( this is very frustrating!).
>
> In the settings.py file, I'm using the django 1.2 or higher, so it has
> ENGINE : '", and whatsnot
> I set the ENGINE to sqlite3, that didn't work. Then I added the path, and
> that still doesn't work. It keeps saying that the ENGINE has not been set. I
> have no clue what is wrong, I've gone through the tutorial so many times and
> I feel that there must be something I am overlooking. I am using the Django
> in the Linux-Debian. Please help, because Django is not cooperating with the
> database and I have no clue what is going on other than the engine part but
> that has been set.
>
>
It might help if you copy/pasted the database settings portion from your
settings.py file into your email to the group. You say you have taken it
exactly from the tutorial but the error message is saying something else,
and in such cases the error message is generally correct: really, the
tutorial is not entirely broken so you have something that is not right but
you have not given us enough information to help diagnose what it is. (That
too is frustrating.)

Also please indicate exactly what level of Django you are using. Why do you
say 1.2 or higher? That's what I said to indicate what level you need in
order to use the settings syntax you appear to be using but you ought to
know exactly what you are using, and be able to state that. The fact that
you are saying 1.2 or higher instead of stating exactly what you are using
does not give me confidence that you know what level you are using. One of
the reasons you would be getting the error message you are reporting is if
you are in fact using 1.1 but trying to use 1.2 syntax for the database
settings.

Karen
--http://tracey.org/kmt/--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

#6 Jan. 24, 2011 01:46:25

Kimberly H.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Questions - Django -- Bash problem


Karen, I've already posted the result to the board. I am new to this Django
world so I do not have full confident with how all of this work. Just
started learning, so this is very new to me.

By the way, sorry that I did not post the result earlier along with my
frustration, I wasn't thinking, so I apologize once again. I am using Django
1.2 and to ensure that the Django has been installed, I run a test in the
shell and it exists.

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Karen Tracey <kmtra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Kimberly Harvey <kharve...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Problems ( this is very frustrating!).
>>
>> In the settings.py file, I'm using the django 1.2 or higher, so it has
>> ENGINE : '", and whatsnot
>> I set the ENGINE to sqlite3, that didn't work. Then I added the path, and
>> that still doesn't work. It keeps saying that the ENGINE has not been set. I
>> have no clue what is wrong, I've gone through the tutorial so many times and
>> I feel that there must be something I am overlooking. I am using the Django
>> in the Linux-Debian. Please help, because Django is not cooperating with the
>> database and I have no clue what is going on other than the engine part but
>> that has been set.
>>
>>
> It might help if you copy/pasted the database settings portion from your
> settings.py file into your email to the group. You say you have taken it
> exactly from the tutorial but the error message is saying something else,
> and in such cases the error message is generally correct: really, the
> tutorial is not entirely broken so you have something that is not right but
> you have not given us enough information to help diagnose what it is. (That
> too is frustrating.)
>
> Also please indicate exactly what level of Django you are using. Why do you
> say 1.2 or higher? That's what I said to indicate what level you need in
> order to use the settings syntax you appear to be using but you ought to
> know exactly what you are using, and be able to state that. The fact that
> you are saying 1.2 or higher instead of stating exactly what you are using
> does not give me confidence that you know what level you are using. One of
> the reasons you would be getting the error message you are reporting is if
> you are in fact using 1.1 but trying to use 1.2 syntax for the database
> settings.
>
> Karen
> --
>http://tracey.org/kmt/>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Django users" group.
> To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<django-users%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com>
> .
> For more options, visit this group at
>http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

#7 Jan. 24, 2011 01:54:47

Kimberly H.
Registered: 2009-11-02
Reputation: +  0  -
Profile   Send e-mail  

Questions - Django -- Bash problem


By the way, it is Django 1.2.4 to be exact

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Karen Tracey <kmtra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Kimberly Harvey <kharve...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Problems ( this is very frustrating!).
>>
>> In the settings.py file, I'm using the django 1.2 or higher, so it has
>> ENGINE : '", and whatsnot
>> I set the ENGINE to sqlite3, that didn't work. Then I added the path, and
>> that still doesn't work. It keeps saying that the ENGINE has not been set. I
>> have no clue what is wrong, I've gone through the tutorial so many times and
>> I feel that there must be something I am overlooking. I am using the Django
>> in the Linux-Debian. Please help, because Django is not cooperating with the
>> database and I have no clue what is going on other than the engine part but
>> that has been set.
>>
>>
> It might help if you copy/pasted the database settings portion from your
> settings.py file into your email to the group. You say you have taken it
> exactly from the tutorial but the error message is saying something else,
> and in such cases the error message is generally correct: really, the
> tutorial is not entirely broken so you have something that is not right but
> you have not given us enough information to help diagnose what it is. (That
> too is frustrating.)
>
> Also please indicate exactly what level of Django you are using. Why do you
> say 1.2 or higher? That's what I said to indicate what level you need in
> order to use the settings syntax you appear to be using but you ought to
> know exactly what you are using, and be able to state that. The fact that
> you are saying 1.2 or higher instead of stating exactly what you are using
> does not give me confidence that you know what level you are using. One of
> the reasons you would be getting the error message you are reporting is if
> you are in fact using 1.1 but trying to use 1.2 syntax for the database
> settings.
>
> Karen
> --
>http://tracey.org/kmt/>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Django users" group.
> To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<django-users%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com>
> .
> For more options, visit this group at
>http://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django users" group.
To post to this group, send email to django-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
django-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/django-users?hl=en.

Offline

Board footer

Moderator control

Enjoy the 11th of December
PoweredBy

The Forums are managed by develissimo stuff members, if you find any issues or misplaced content please help us to fix it. Thank you! Tell us via Contact Options
Leave a Message
Welcome to Develissimo Live Support